Skip to main content

"Hike": This Fuckin' Guy Spends a Weekend Hiking.

 
Hike
 
Prologue:
First, to expose a fucking artifice for what it fucking is:
This is not an actual fucking diary
I wrote all of this on the same fucking day (July 27).
So, even though I fucking wrote it to make it look like a diary
I am not fucking interested in convincing you
That this is a fucking diary.
Rather, I want to make it crystal fucking clear
That this is not, in fucking fact, an actual fucking diary,
So as not to be fucking misleading.
So let's get fucking started.
 
Thursday, July 24, 5:30 PM:
I'm in the fucking hardware store
Having a fucking set of keys made,
And the music that is playing
Is "Dueling Fucking Banjo's" --
The fucking theme song from fucking Deliverance.
The motherfucker making the fucking keys
Is talking to me about
How the banjos are driving him fucking crazy and he can't fucking think,
But I'm thinking about how in two days,
I'm supposed to go on a fucking hike
On the Appalachian Fucking Trail
And I don't want what happened to Ned Fucking Beatty
To happen to me
Or any one else I'll be hiking with,
(Or to fucking anybody, really. It was really fucking fucked up what happened to
Ned Fucking Beatty in Deliverance).
(And yes, I fucking know that in Deliverance,
It's a fucking canoe trip; not a fucking hike.
But for someone like me,
Who spends very little fucking time in nature
(Which is especially odd,
Considering I like to consider myself
A fucking nature poet),
A fucking canoe trip
And a fucking hike,
Are the same fucking motherfucking difference).
 
But, so I'm wondering,
Is this a fucking sign?
Should I not go?
No, that's fucking stupid.
It's not a fucking sign.
But then, if I fucking go,
And what happened to Ned Beatty
Happens to me,
Then I'm going to feel really fucking stupid
For tempting fucking fate.
 
Friday, July 24, 12:30 PM:
Well, it's all fucking set
For fucking sure,
Ned Beatty or no,
I'm fucking going.
Wait--I'm fucking going?
I'm going to hike 20 fucking miles 
On the fucking Appalachian Trail
Over two fucking days?
Am I out of my fucking mind?
Do I realize how little fucking experience I have fucking hiking?
Do I know how fucking old I am?
I'm fucking old.
Maybe it doesn't fucking matter how fucking old I am.
There was a 79 year motherfucker who hiked the whole fucking AT,
2200 miles of that shit.
So I should be able to handle fucking 20.
Over one motherfucking weekend.
10 miles on fucking Saturday,
Camp out overnight,
10 more fucking miles on Sunday,
And boom. Fucking done. Boom.
That seems fucking doable.
Actually, that sounds like a really nice time.*
 
Saturday, July 25, 9:25 PM:
This fucking hike
Started out pretty fucking hard
Maybe 20 fucking minutes of pretty fucking steep uphill shit.
But the whole fucking time,
I'm thinking, it seems pretty fucking manageable.
The hardest part for me, really,
Is when you pass motherfuckers going the other way,
You're supposed to say hi to them.
And that's just not my fucking way.
But I do it. I say fucking hi to a shitload of motherfuckers
Going the other fucking way.
I don't fucking like it, but I fucking do it.
And actually, 
I don't fucking like that I don't fucking like doing it.
I feel like, I should get over that self conscious shit.
I'm too fucking old to be this fucking self fucking conscious.
One good thing--nobody looked like the
"I'm going to Ned Beatty your ass" type.
Almost everybody on the fucking trail
Seemed really fucking nice,
And everybody else was at least ok.
We didn't get as far as we fucking planned,
So we will have to do 12 fucking miles tomorrow.
But we will be up earlier
We should be okay.
We should be fucking fine.
And this is a really nice time,
Looking up through the motherfucking tent
At the beautiful motherfucking trees.
Fucking fuck me.
It's too fucking cloudy to see the fucking stars,
But it's still very motherfucking beautiful.
No fucking lie.
 
Sunday, July 26, 6:15 PM:
We fucking slept late,
And I should be fucking panicking,
Like, how the fuck are we going to ever fucking finish this,
And how the fuck am I going to handle
These steep motherfucking descents
Without breaking a motherfucking ankle?
But I'm not fucking panicking.
I'm fucking doing it:
I'm fucking hiking,
I'm drinking the water from the motherfucking waterfall
(After purifying it, of course),
And I'm saying hi to motherfuckers,
Even exchanging a few words with some of them.
I'm fucking interacting with motherfuckers.

I mean, don't get me fucking wrong,
I'm still a fucking misanthrope a lot of the fucking time,
And selfish, and self centered-- observe,
For fucking example,
How I haven't even taken the fucking time
To even name the other people hiking with me
(Rachel, Mike, Liz and Rick,
And there's also a dog: Viola).

Although that's as much to do
With my result-oriented fucking nature
As anything fucking else.
I just want to finish writing this shit.
I'm enjoying writing it,
But it already feels fucking long,
And I feel like it should be fucking done.
Just like, by the 17th or 18th fucking mile,
I feel like this fucking hike should be done.
So fucking result oriented:
Like how I won't even stop to pick a fucking blackberry
Off a motherfucking bush.
But then, when Rachel picks them,
Fuck yes, I will eat those motherfuckers,
And acknowledge that yes,
They are motherfucking delicious.
And I'm so fucking easily distracted
Instead of just being fucking present,
In the beautiful fucking eternal fucking now.
Mosquitos hum in my fucking ear,
And I hear fucking "Summer's Caldron" by XTC.
And then I can't get that fucking song out of my fucking head
For fucking hours.
Not to mention "Dueling Fucking Banjos."
Which has been stuck in my fucking head
All fucking weekend.
And then, at one fucking point,
I'm thinking, wait, what was that fucking thing,
With the banjos and two people shouting at once?
It's not a Monty Fucking Python fucking thing.
 
And then I remember: 
"Dueling Fucking Brandos."
One of them was John Belushi,
But who was the other motherfucker?
That shit is going to bother me until
I look that shit up
But I'm not fucking going to do that now.
It's bad enough I keep checking my fucking email.
Why can't I be off-fucking-line?
Why can't I be off the fucking grid?
I mostly am, and it's really fucking nice.
But it is so fucking hard
To not look that shit up.
Like the other day,
At the fucking Indian Restaurant,
When they served some very large motherfucking dosas,
And Ben had to look up
"World's Largest Fucking Dosa,"
I totally fucking understood.
But of course, he probably doesn't do that shit
When he's on a fucking hike.
But can I not look that shit up?
Can I?

Sunday, July 2, 7:45 PM:
Yes!
I fucking did it!
It's fucking done!
I fucking made it!
I made it the whole fucking twenty miles
Without looking that shit up,
Or breaking my ankle,
Or getting fucking Beatty'd.
Not only that,
I would do that shit again.
Soon.
I really fucking would.
I fucking would.
 
Monday, July 27, 2:00 PM:
It was Peter Fucking Boyle.
 
July 27, 2015
 
*Note: "That sounds like a really nice time" is non-registered trademark of This Fuckin' Guy.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Points": This Fuckin' Guy Gets Some Fucking Points.

Points As those of you motherfuckers Who were reading This Fuckin' Blog last year (Or who heard this ) Already fucking know, I like Citibike: I used to have to buy motherfucking monthly transit cards From the motherfucking MTA Every motherfucking month And I fucking hate the motherfucking MTA. Citibike has saved me a shitload of money That would otherwise go to the pieces of shit At the fucking MTA So yeah, I fucking like Citibike. If I had to name the worst fucking thing About Citibike I guess I'd say that sometimes There's no fucking bikes And you have to walk to another fucking docking station And sometimes There's no room to dock your bike So you have to ride to another station to dock your fucking bike But that's really no big deal It's only occasionally a pain in the ass. But, so then, I get an email from Citibike a couple of  months ago, About this new fucking program Where you get points If you take a fucking bike from a to

"Trump II: Speech" and "Retrospect": This Fuckin' Guy Reflects.

Trump II: Speech* Jesus fucking cocks How do you like the balls on this motherfucking piece of shit? Make the bar so fucking low That that shit looks statesmanlike? That that shit looks good? Fuck that shit And fuck you. But I will say one fucking thing: It's a fucking shame that no Democrat since probably LBJ Would even fucking think of proposing A trillion fucking dollars on infrastructure And I will say fuck yes to that. I will give credit when credit is due Like what that piece of shit Bush did in Africa: A lot of fucking money to fight AIDS, malaria, and other fucked up shit over there Whereas that fuck Reagan took five fucking years to even say the fucking word "AIDS." That piece of shit ratbastard fuck. So fuck yes to Bush fighting AIDS, malaria, and other fucked up shit in Africa And fuck yes to proposing a trillion dollars for infrastructure Even if it never fucking happ‎ens It's a nice fucking gesture It's a lovely fucking gestu‎re So fuck yes I

"Loss."

Loss Two fucking years ago A month or two after Citibike fucking started up I was like, fucking hell, I hardly ever ride the fucking subway anymore So I stopped getting the monthly fucking unlimited fucking Metrocard And got a pay per fucking ride And I hardly ever fucking paid for a fucking subway ride: For fucking months I'd get on a fucking bike each morning And I'd be like, hey I'm fucking saving money And after a couple of months, Let me fucking tell you, I was the fastest motherfucking Citbike riding motherfucker On the motherfucking bike path Along the fucking Hudson Going south in the morning. Not the fastest fucking bike rider -- There were always some fucking Lycrafucks Who would pass my ass (see " Bike "; the second to last Motherfucking poem I wrote on August 30th of last fucking year; Or hear "Bike,"  here ; I think it's the second fucking track). But never fucking ever did a motherfucker on another Citibike Ever f